Saturday, July 19, 2008

DNS Servers difference btwn Primary & Secondary Zone Type & Scavenge

1. Looking at the 'Properties' on one of my Forward Look-up zones, on the 'General' tab there is a setting to change the 'Zone Type'. When clicking on this, I can choose between Primary Zone, Secondary Zone, or Stub Zone with a brief description of each. My primary DNS/DC server is set as 'Primary Zone,' I have a secondary DNS/DC server also set as 'Primary Zone,' and a third server (my Exchange srver w/DNS) set as 'Secondary Zone.' This is all on a single Domain environment with approx. 50 PCs . Should my secondary DNS/DC server be set as 'Secondary Zone' or remain as 'Primary Zone' and what are the implications? I want this secondary server to be completely fault tolerant and able to take over all DNS/DC work in case of failure on the primary server.

2. Setting Scavenge and Aging settings on these same servers; it has currently never been set on any server and I would like to clean-up the clutter. Should I Enable this on every DNS server, just my primary server (assumung the correct info would propogate), or my primary and secondary servers?



http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/DNS_Stub_Zones.html

No comments: